Re: [squid-users] Squid losing connectivity for 30 seconds

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 00:37:28 +1300

On 23/11/2011 11:11 p.m., Elie Merhej wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am currently facing a problem that I wasn't able to find a
>>> solution for in the mailing list or on the internet,
>>> My squid is dying for 30 seconds every one hour at the same exact
>>> time, squid process will still be running,
>>> I lose my wccp connectivity, the cache peers detect the squid as a
>>> dead sibling, and the squid cannot server any requests
>>> The network connectivity of the sever is not affected (a ping to the
>>> squid's ip doesn't timeout)
>>>
>>> The problem doesn't start immediately when the squid is installed on
>>> the server (The server is dedicated as a squid)
>>> It starts when the cache directories starts to fill up,
>>> I have started my setup with 10 cache directors, the squid will
>>> start having the problem when the cache directories are above 50%
>>> filled
>>> when i change the number of cache directory (9,8,...) the squid
>>> works for a while then the same problem
>>> cache_dir aufs /cache1/squid 90000 140 256
>>> cache_dir aufs /cache2/squid 90000 140 256
>>> cache_dir aufs /cache3/squid 90000 140 256
>>> cache_dir aufs /cache4/squid 90000 140 256
>>> cache_dir aufs /cache5/squid 90000 140 256
>>> cache_dir aufs /cache6/squid 90000 140 256
>>> cache_dir aufs /cache7/squid 90000 140 256
>>> cache_dir aufs /cache8/squid 90000 140 256
>>> cache_dir aufs /cache9/squid 90000 140 256
>>> cache_dir aufs /cache10/squid 80000 140 256
>>>
>>> I have 1 terabyte of storage
>>> Finally I created two cache dircetories (One on each HDD) but the
>>> problem persisted
>>
>> You have 2 HDD? but, but, you have 10 cache_dir.
>> We repeatedly say "one cache_dir per disk" or similar. In particular
>> one cache_dir per physical drive spindle (for "disks" made up of
>> multiple physical spindles) wherever possible with physical
>> drives/spindles mounting separately to ensure the pairing. Squid
>> performs a very unusual pattern of disk I/O which stress them down to
>> the hardware controller level and make this kind of detail critical
>> for anything like good speed. Avoiding cache_dir object limitations
>> by adding more UFS-based dirs to one disk does not improve the
>> situation.
>>
>> That is a problem which will be affecting your Squid all the time
>> though, possibly making the source of the pause worse.
>>
>> From teh description I believe it is garbage collection on the cache
>> directories. The pauses can be visible when garbage collecting any
>> caches over a few dozen GB. The squid default "swap_high" and
>> "swap_low" values are "5" apart, with at minimum being a value of 0
>> apart. These are whole % points of the total cache size, being erased
>> from disk in a somewhat random-access style across the cache area. I
>> did mention uncommon disk I/O patterns, right?
>>
>> To be sure what it is, you can use the "strace" tool to the squid
>> worker process (the second PID in current stable Squids) and see what
>> is running. But given the hourly regularity and past experience with
> [...]

This is not. For anything more than 10-20 GB I recommend setting it to
no more than 1 apart, possibly the same value if that works.
Squid has a light but CPU-intensive and possibly long garbage removal
cycle above cache_swap_low, and a much more aggressive but faster and
less CPU intensive removal above cache_swap_high. On large caches it is
better in terms of downtime going straight to the aggressive removal and
clearing disk space fast, despite the bandwidth cost replacing any items
the light removal would have left.

Amos