[squid-users] Commercial Squid tweak speeds things up significantly!

From: - Mikael - <funactivities_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 15:21:33 -0700

Our school dept wants to buy a commercial proxy (Squid based) which
seems to work a whole lot faster than the standard installation (of
Squid). The performance difference between the two Squid's seems to be
in how commercial Squid implementation is handling a missed object.

From what I understand their Squid implementation caches the content
in a normal way, but once a client gets a cache miss, then their Squid
allows the client to fetch the record -- apparently Squid doesn't do
it for the client which seems to make the big performance difference.
Once the object is fetched by the client, Squid intercepts it and
stores the object for the other clients. I tested this and that
implementation really, really speeds things up. Now I hate to admit
this but this commercial product is subscription based and that's the
money which I would rather spend on students and teachers, school
supplies for them etc.

Is it possible to configure Squid that way by modifying config file,
or this is more involved than just editing config file?

Thanks!