Re: [squid-users] Commercial Squid tweak speeds things up significantly!

From: Luis Daniel Lucio Quiroz <luis.daniel.lucio_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 23:53:29 -0600

Le 25 novembre 2011 16:21, - Mikael - <funactivities_at_gmail.com> a écrit :
> Our school dept wants to buy a commercial proxy (Squid based) which
> seems to work a whole lot faster than the standard installation (of
> Squid). The performance difference between the two Squid's seems to be
> in how commercial Squid implementation is handling a missed object.
>
> From what I understand their Squid implementation caches the content
> in a normal way, but once a client gets a cache miss, then their Squid
> allows the client to fetch the record -- apparently Squid doesn't do
> it for the client which seems to make the big performance difference.
> Once the object is fetched by the client, Squid intercepts it and
> stores the object for the other clients. I tested this and that
> implementation really, really speeds things up. Now I hate to admit
> this but this commercial product is subscription based and that's the
> money which I would rather spend on students and teachers, school
> supplies for them etc.
>
> Is it possible to configure Squid that way by modifying config file,
> or this is more involved than just editing config file?
>
> Thanks!

"Once the object is fetched by the client, Squid intercepts it and
stores the object for the other clients."

That sounds like heap LRU policy,

it is not fear to compare a squid out of the box with a solution that
has a tunning in parameters. Pesonally, i've develop an algorithm to
save you 30% of bandwith with some tunnings based on statistical
measures. So it is easy, you dont have to waste money.

LD
http://www.twitter.com/ldlq