Re: [squid-users] Connectivity Choke With Squid 3.1

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 14:18:27 +1300

On 10/02/2012 4:04 a.m., Edmonds Namasenda wrote:
> Hello Group,
>
> I am using Squid 3.1 in transparent mode with basic settings enforced
> by a redirect rule in Shoreline Firewall.
> I have two LANs; 172.x.x.x for LAN servers not controlled by the
> proxy, and 10.x.x.x for LAN users. The squid server has 2 NICs to
> create the users LAN& routing.
>
> My main problem is, the squid server seems to be choking or limiting
> connection to reach the cap allocated. We have 20MBs up and down but
> we only reach 5MBs. Replacing the proxy with routers raises up the cap
> to expectation.
>
> How can I improve this connectivity issue? I really do not want to rid
> of my OpenSuSe 11.4 box running my apps and squid.

You are making the mistake of comparing line speed (packet routing only)
with gateway processing speed (HTTP parsing, processing and re-assembly
by Squid). The two are not directly comparible like this and line speed
will always be the faster no matter what protocol or software is used to
process the HTTP. The only problem visible in your description so far is
the amount of reduction, and that depends on a lot of things as far
ranging as your particular Squid version number, how you configured it,
disk and RAM I/O speeds, and client HTTP request headers.

Amos