Re: [squid-users] Squid 2.7.STABLE9 suddenly fails to run

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 14:28:47 +1300

On 10/02/2012 4:26 a.m., SB Tech wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ubuntu 11.10, Squid 2.7.STABLE9-4ubuntu4 on amd64.
>
> This has been running just fine since I set it up several weeks ago,
> and now today it won't run on boot or if started manually with init.d
> or service. The error messages are:
>
> squid[2173]: Unable to open configuration file: /etc/squid/squid.conf:
> (13) Permission denied
> squid[1551]: storeDirOpenTmpSwapLog: Failed to open swap log.
> kernel: [ 46.350141] init: squid main process (1551) killed by ABRT signal
>
> I've changed nothing at all to do with Squid. squid.conf is owned by
> "root" user and group, r/w for user only; the swap log (which I assume
> is swap.state) is owned by "proxy" user and group.

Then ensure that the root user is the account you are starting Squid
from. Not your normal login.
The whole path affects the file permissions, so also check that read
access is allowed in /etc and /etc/squid directories. Likewise for the
cache directory paths.

Squid runs as the user account which started it. That account requires
access to all the resources Squid uses, and ability to su itself down to
the low-privileged effective user account the worker daemons run in.

Amos