Re: [squid-users] HTTP 407 responses

From: Mr J Potter <jpotter833_at_because.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 20:31:11 +0000

Hi Alex,

I've got it working fine on domain members. I should have explained
better - I'm setting up a guest wireless network in a school, so all
devices that attach will be personal, non domain, and as a rule I
won't get the chance to configure them before they connect.

The devices that I want to connect will be mostly student laptops,
smartphones and visitors' devices.

The plan is to set up proxy DHCP autoconfig and/or transparent port
forwarding trick to point people towards the proxy (https is likely
not to like this I know), but I want a way of getting people to say
who they are and give them internet access accordingly. I;m using
squid/squidguard to great effect for the domain machines, and I'd like
to use the same set of rules for folks connecting their own devices.

How has anyone else done this? the options I've found are basic,
digest or NTLM all of which have major issues in terms of security,
configuration or usability respectively.

Jim