[squid-users] Squid 2.7.STABLE9 suddenly fails to run

From: SB Tech <sirgadabout1_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 20:19:56 +0000

Hi,

I'm still having the problem described below. If there's no further
help forthcoming, or if this issue is just one of those things that
defies explanation, I'll just go ahead and perform a restore of the
whole installation from a recent backup. I'd rather not, but if I'm
getting no help it's all I have left.

Thank you.

S.

On 12 February 2012 00:34, Amos Jeffries <squ..._at_treenet.co.nz> wrote:
> On 12/02/2012 10:53 a.m., SB Tech wrote:
>>>
>>> the "squid[1551]: storeDirOpenTmpSwapLog: Failed to open swap log"
>>> error still exists, and is fatal. This is the unprivileged user
>>> spawned by the root process that is run at boot.
>>>
>>> The low-privileged effective user is the default, "proxy". Here's an
>>> accurate representation of my cache/logs file stucture:
>>> /media/sdcard root:root 777
>>> ../squid proxy:proxy 770
>>> ../../00 through 0F proxy:proxy 750
>>> ../../swap.state proxy:proxy 640
>>> ../../logs proxy:proxy 775
>>> ../../../*.log proxy:proxy 640
>>> Interestingly, swap.state is back even though I deleted it during
>>> troubleshooting, so Squid can clearly r/w here just fine.
>>> For completeness, my cache_dir is set as follows:
>>> cache_dir ufs /media/sdcard/squid 800 16 256
>>> Logs:
>>> access_log none
>>> cache_log /media/sdcard/squid/logs/cache.log
>>> cache_store_log /media/sdcard/squid/logs/store.log
>>> I really can't see anything wrong with my permissions. What am I missing?
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> I note it's actually looking for "TmpSwapLog" - is there somewhere
>> else I should be looking for this permissions issue (if that's what
>> this is) than the swap.state file?
>

> Its a temporary of teh swap.satte called swap.state.clean or swap.state.tmp
> and should be in the same directory as your swap.state.
>
> Try setting /media/sdcard/squid to 777 for one run and seeing if something
> strange has happened with its permissions. If swap.state owner or group
> changes those are what needs to be given access.
>
> Amos

Hi,

Thanks for following up on this. I took your advice, but afterwards I
simply received the same error.

I performed a "ls -la" on ../squid, and I don't see any evidence of a
swap.state.clean or .tmp - all I have are the cache folders, my logs
folder and swap.state. Where could this be, as it seems to be where
the problem lies?