Re: [squid-users] Squid 3.2.0.14 using 100% cpu and not responding

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 11:04:26 +1200

On 10.07.2012 09:58, Will Roberts wrote:
> On 07/09/2012 02:18 AM, Alan wrote:
>> A quick search suggest that you are using some kernel security crap,
>> don't know much about it but try this:
>> echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope
>> Or simply start squid from gdb instead of attaching to the existing
>> process.
>
> Alan,
>
> I believe I stumbled across that earlier, unfortunately that key
> doesn't exist on my system. I am able to strace/gdb right now when my
> squid isn't stuck, so I've attached via gdb and then left it running
> in screen. Hopefully next time it breaks I'll be able to get back in
> and grab a useful stack.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.
>
> --Will

This debugging script should help there. It ensures almost zero
downtime for clients while debugging a crash on a production machine.

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/BugReporting#Using_gdb_debugger_on_a_live_proxy_.28with_minimal_downtime.29

Essentially it grabs the debug traces and restarts squid on every
crash, leaving you a set of GDB reports about the problem. If you can
ensure cores are left on the system you can use those reports and go
back for more data.

Amos