Re: [squid-users] sending only cache_hits to icap AV

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2012 12:12:25 +1200

On 7/09/2012 10:53 a.m., E.S. Rosenberg wrote:
> Hi all,
> We have the following proxy structure at the moment:
>

> Internet --- Squid cache1 --- Squid cache2 --- users
> |
> ICAP Anti Virus server
>
> The documentation of the AV server states clearly that they don't
> recommend having a caching proxy behind it because then a virus may be
> cached and served for a while.
>
> If this is indeed the case then I would like squid cache2 to send of
> only the cache-hits for a rescan because the misses anyhow already
> passed through SQ1 and were scanned, is this possible?

Yes by re-ordering cache2 closer to the Internet than cache1.

The ordering you show above HITS on cache2 will never even reach cache1.

> Also it seems to me that this anyhow may not be 100% true, because
> would the AV server not warn when squid tries to establish of the file
> has gone stale before serving it?

No. The revalidation process usually only involves an IMS request and
short 304 response. No object gets transferred during that process. I
think they are meaning that the cached objects need re-scanning after AV
signatures get updated, the revalidate would not trigger any re-scan.

Amos