Re: [squid-users] reloading settings on a regular basis

From: E.S. Rosenberg <esr_at_g.jct.ac.il>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 17:25:50 +0200

2012/9/23 Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il>:
> On 9/23/2012 3:52 PM, E.S. Rosenberg wrote:
>>
>> 1. Can (potentially) reloading squid (service squid3 reload or
>> /etc/init.d/squid3 reload) this often have a negative impact? or bad
>> side effects?
>> 2. Such reloads according to my logic would have to be coordinated
>> between all processes that may be editing acls, correct?
>
> Hey Eliyahu,
>
> Reloading every 5 minutes is a very BAD idea.
> It can cause slowdowns and other stuff to respond bad.
>
> I remember your code in PHP?
>
> Instead of writing ACLs into squid.conf and included files it will be better
> to use an EXTERNAL_ACL that can be updated automaticly and do not be needed
> to restart.
>
> what kind of ACLs are you talking about exactly?
Lists of users, users that browse through ISP A, and users that browse
thought ISP B, users that are blocked etc.

> think in mind that you can write you own settings file\db and to work with.
>
> if it's LDAP\mysql\RADUIS It can be done easily.
The info on which ISP a user is supposed to use at the moment is
"partially" in LDAP (ie. determined by location in tree or membership
of a unix group, I'd like to change it to being an attribute for each
user).

We also have a RADIUS server which basically acts as a frontend to
LDAP for some RADIUS based products, it seems that leveraging RADIUS
would provide other advantages if I also leverage the reporting
feature to count users' traffic....
Thanks,
Eli