Re: [squid-users] https requests not forwarding from child to parent in hierarchy

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 13:21:41 +1300

On 21.11.2012 11:59, Swaroop Shere wrote:
> Hi,
>    I am trying to setup a hierarchy of proxy servers (using squid 2.7
> stable) where one child is connected to two parents. The child
> forwards requests to the parents in a round robin fashion. Now this
> setup seems to be working for http requests, but doesnt work for
> https
> requests. I see CONNECT requests going from child to the destination
> for https requests instead of to parents. What am I missing? Heres my
> settings for the child.
>
> cache_peer abc.com parent 3128 3130 no-query round-robin
> cache_peer pqr.com parent 3128 3130 no-query round-robin
>
> Let me know if i should post some more relevant information. Thanks!
>
> Swaroop

CONNECT is a request to open a tunnel. Squid try service any request
they can as quickly as possible, rather that relaying the requests
through another hop which *will* add more lag. This DIRECT behaviour is
sort of like a HIT for CONNECT requests - the same goes for ftp:// and
gopher:// traffic.

You can make Squid ignore these special types of requests and
(possibly) pass them to peers using this directive:
   http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/nonhierarchical_direct/

Amos