Re: [squid-users] calculating hardware for 900 users for SQUID cache server

From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 13:35:59 +0200

Hey Joseph,

You meant SAS? yes?
To decide about hardware specs you will want to try and measure the
requests per second rather then the amount of users.
Another thing to take in account, is it a regular forward proxy or
intercept\trpoxy?
Do you want to keep logs on local disc?
Do you have specific objects\sites you want to cache rather then having
a cache proxy?

Take in account that squid is a single process and not threaded.
Squid works faster(in general) with separated DISKS for a cache_dir
rather then having them in a RAID array.

Things about ram:
About 10-15MB per 1 GB of cache_dir.
Each live connection consumes about ~60-70 KB of ram.

Hope this will help you make more calculations

Regards,
Eliezer