Re: [squid-users] Squid 3.2: squid -z forking?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2013 14:05:21 +1300

On 6/02/2013 1:09 a.m., Silamael wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I just noticed that the squid -z command seems to fork and the child is
> creating the cache directories. The parent immediatly returns with exit
> code 0. There's a race for cases like: squid -z; squid
> Is this behaviour intended?

Partially. The parent returning immediately is not agood thing. BUT,
"squid -z ; squid" is not a good way to do things even if it did. If
that were possible we would simply have made squid startup perform the
-z operations by default.

squid -z is a create operation pure and simple. The manual way to create
directories before the *first* time you run Squid.

squid -z will create missing directories. BUT, does not ensure they are
valid if already existing.
Also, for some storage types they will create by destroying existing
content. That was a bug and we are working on the fix.

Amos