Re: [squid-users] Squid as proxy with interception

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 11:35:31 +1300

On 12/03/2013 4:33 a.m., Magali Bernard wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After many years with squid as a proxy-cache combined with the proxy.pac or
> WPAD client configurations, we are considering to use squid as a proxy with
> interception (WCCP2) on our whole university site.
>
> The reason essentially lies on complaints from users with their browsers
> configurations, but also with applications that can not talk to a proxy...
>
> We'd like to know if interception is widely used and approved.
> Some feedback, good or bad experiences, would be precious for us.

It is widely used, and equally widely hated.

Your best choice of configuration is to use mutiple layers of client
configuration:
  http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/ConfiguringBrowsers#Recommended_network_configuration

Since you have the WPAD/PAC layer(s) currently working *keep them*.
Just add the interception as a backup method for traffic which bypasses
the WPAD/PAC.

Using the layered approach you get full proxy functionality with any
software which correctly supports WPAD/PAC. While still getting the
proxy access control and some caching with other software despite the
interception limitations.

Amos