RE: [squid-users] Squid as proxy with interception

From: James Harper <james.harper_at_bendigoit.com.au>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 22:52:57 +0000

> Hello,
>
> After many years with squid as a proxy-cache combined with the proxy.pac
> or
> WPAD client configurations, we are considering to use squid as a proxy with
> interception (WCCP2) on our whole university site.
>
> The reason essentially lies on complaints from users with their browsers
> configurations, but also with applications that can not talk to a proxy...
>
> We'd like to know if interception is widely used and approved.
> Some feedback, good or bad experiences, would be precious for us.

If the first thing a student tries to do on your network is to check their facebook or google something then they will get an error as you can't (or shouldn't for a university network) do interception proxy with HTTPS. A lot of other things are https by default these days too.

Maybe put interception proxy in place as a backup, but stick with regular proxy as well.

James