[squid-users] Re: which kernel is best for squid 3.xx with centos 6.3 with youtube caching ?

From: babajaga <augustus_meyer_at_yahoo.de>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 13:45:45 -0700 (PDT)

squid measures hitrate and byte-hitrate. Hitrate is the % of objects, fetched
from cache. Byte-hitrate is the amount of bytes fetched from cache versus
amount of traffic.
As an example. you have 100MB traffic, which consists out of 1 video, 50MB,
and 99 objects, 0.5MB each. When all the small objects are fetched from
cache, you have a hit-rate of 99%, but only byte-hitrate of 50%.
When only the video is in cache, hit-rate is only 1%, but byte-hitrate is
also 50%.

So, regarding caching/caching of videos, my hit-rate is only about 10%. But
the byte-hitrate is between 30%-35%, which is the amount of traffic saved.
So, for me about 6GB/day, because of 1/3 of 20GB/day,

>i monitored the cache of videocache it just make 5 M - 10 M as maximum
!!!!! <

You mean, only 5MBit/s-10MBit/s traffic to be handled ?
Thats not good.

TIME_WAIT is a connection state after closing. To have a lot of conns in
this state is not unusual.

I have the impression, you should better ask the guys, who developed
videocache, regarding performance.