Re: [squid-users] Question regaring cache.log in newer versions of squid, where are my logs??

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 21:01:54 +1200

On 24/05/2013 1:24 p.m., Squidblacklist wrote:
> Question regaring cache.log in newer versions of squid, where are my
> logs??
>
> I usually parse/grep the output from /var/log/output.log when I am
> processing blacklists for errors, now, squid is no longer placing those
> errors there, if I am lucky, Ill get a single entry when there are
> multiple issues, this makes it more difficult for me to work on these
> blacklists, because I am supposed to reconfigure squid evertime I
> remove an entry??

Try "squid -k parse" instead of a log grep. There are a bunch of issues
it can detect which are only logged at higher debug levels unless you
are verifying the config file.

There are also a bunch of what used to be errors, which are no longer
treated as errors (duplicate dstdomain entries etc) and Squid can
optimize out of existince during loading. squid -k parse should be
warning about those while nothing gets logged as errors.

> I would like it back the way it was, I want to see a full log of all
> the errors, instead of squid stopping on the first error, as it appears
> to be doing, is there a work around for this? Something im missing?

The recent versiosn we have made an effort to obey the FHS standards.
Those require that Squid creates a directory fof its own name with
permissions assigned and inherited by the content underneath.
Logs should be in /var/log/squid/cache.log etc nowdays unless the
person who built your Squid used the --with-logdir=/some/path build
option to place them somewhere else.

Amos