Re: [squid-users] Same cache_dir for many squid process

From: csn233 <csn233_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2013 14:43:18 +0800

> CARP is the type of hierarchy you want for scalability if SMP is
> unavailable. It is two-layer and each layer is independently scalable. The
> gateway layer (childs) does not cache, but simply does access controls on
> clients and determines which cache-layer (parents) proxies is storing the
> URL being fetched to pass it through on the way to the origin.
>
> Note that CARP typically has no sibling relationships. Yet provides cache
> de-duplication, failover, and scalability for high-performance beyond what a
> single or several parallel Squid caches can offer. It does require specific
> hardware and configuration arrangements however.

Thanks, Amos. I understand that, I think - there are multiple Squids
and caches involved.

Which is quite different from Leonardo's "chaining squid processes is
easy and, at the end, will provide the functionality of all squid
processes using the same cache_dir, but being controlled by a single
squid."