[squid-users] refresh_pattern >>AND<< reload-into-ims

From: HillTopsGM <emailgregagain_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 09:37:17 -0700 (PDT)

I have read what . . .

reload-into-ims

. . . is supposed to mean here:
http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v3/3.1/cfgman/refresh_pattern.html
<http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v3/3.1/cfgman/refresh_pattern.html>

Basically this is all that it says:

(QUOTE)
reload-into-ims changes client no-cache or ``reload''
to If-Modified-Since requests. Doing this VIOLATES the
HTTP standard. Enabling this feature could make you
liable for problems which it causes.
(END QUOTE)

I am trying to understand what it is doing with respect to the FAQ's tips on
code to add to your squid.conf file that will help cache Windows Updates.

That code is given here:
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/WindowsUpdate
<http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/WindowsUpdate>

. . . and a sample of one of the refresh_pattern lines from that page is
this:

refresh_pattern -i microsoft.com/.*\.(cab|exe|ms[i|u|f]|asf|wm[v|a]|dat|zip)
4320 80% 43200 reload-into-ims

*Question 1:* Could someone please clarify what the system is going to be
'thinking' with this code?

*Question 2:* My understanding of windows updates is that '/An update, is
an Update/'. Why would I set a limit on a cached update to 30 days (43200)?
Why would I not make that number equivalent to 3 or 4 years (or more); is
each windows update that you download not its own entity, never to be
changed - /except to be updated by a future update/?

Thanks for the assistance in leaning.