[squid-users] Re: Any Way To Check If Windows Updates Are Cached?

From: HillTopsGM <emailgregagain_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 10:32:54 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Helmut,

You have my attention now!

Helmut Hullen wrote
> Hallo, HillTopsGM,
>
> Du meintest am 04.09.13:
>
> [wsusoffline]
>
>> Thanks for this tip - I know you have mentioned it before, but what I
>> am trying to avoid is on an on going basis (every week) when there is
>> an update, having all 12 computers download the same file.
>
>> This is a great tool if you are always doing fresh installs - that's
>> fine - but it doesn't help me day to day.
>

> But surely it helps! It's a data base for all desired windows versions,
> it's completed/refreshed every time you want.

"it's completed/refreshed every time you want."?
I was looking into it more and so can you confirm this for me;

If I run the updategnerator.exe file that will ONLY add the files I don't
have right at the moment?

If that is so, then anytime windows notifies me that there are updates, I'd
simply have to run this updategnerator.exe file to get the new ones; and
then go to all the other machines and run the updateinstaller.exe file. Is
that right?

Helmut Hullen wrote
> Updateing is a cron job. Only not yet existing files are downloaded
> during such a job, and they stay in the directory as long as Windows
> looks for them - that's another way than staying in the squid cache.

. . . when you say it is a cron job, are you saying that it is part of the
*wsusoffline* program itself?

These updates that it collects come directly from Microsoft?

If this is the case, this would be tremendously helpful!

Oh, and what happens when http://www.wsusoffline.net/
<http://www.wsusoffline.net/> comes up with a new 'version', do you have
to start all over again?

Thanks for you help!