Re: [squid-users] Re: Any Way To Check If Windows Updates Are Cached?

From: Helmut Hullen <Hullen_at_t-online.de>
Date: 04 Sep 2013 20:03:00 +0200

Hallo, HillTopsGM,

Du meintest am 04.09.13:

> "it's completed/refreshed every time you want."?
> I was looking into it more and so can you confirm this for me;

> If I run the updategnerator.exe file that will ONLY add the files I
> don't have right at the moment?

Surely.
"wget" checks if the file already exists.

> If that is so, then anytime windows notifies me that there are
> updates, I'd simply have to run this updategnerator.exe file to get
> the new ones; and then go to all the other machines and run the
> updateinstaller.exe file. Is that right?

That's right.

> Helmut Hullen wrote
>> Updateing is a cron job. Only not yet existing files are downloaded
>> during such a job, and they stay in the directory as long as Windows
>> looks for them - that's another way than staying in the squid cache.

> .. . . when you say it is a cron job, are you saying that it is part
> of the *wsusoffline* program itself?

No - writing a cronjob is the administrator's job. But that's a very
simple job.

> These updates that it collects come directly from Microsoft?

Yes.

> If this is the case, this would be tremendously helpful!

> Oh, and what happens when http://www.wsusoffline.net/
> <http://www.wsusoffline.net/> comes up with a new 'version', do you
> have to start all over again?

"That depends!"
Windows: you're told that there is a newer version.
Linux: the administrator has to watch the wsusoffline website.

Installing the program: under Linux just copy it into your desired
directory; it overwrites only the wsusoffline binaries/scripts.

But that's a wsusoffline problem (if it is a problem), no squid problem.

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut