Re: [squid-users] Newbie Help - Is this Possible?

From: Per Jessen <per_at_computer.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 09:39:08 +0200

Aaron Wright wrote:

> I wanted to add Squid to my home network for web caching. This is the
> setup I was thinking about.
>

> +-------+      +--------+       +----------+
> | CABLE |      | BRIDGE |       |  ROUTER  |
> |       +------+        +-------+          |
> | MODEM |      | SQUID  |       |          |
> +-------+      +--------+       ++-+-+-+-+-+

snip

> With all the different connections I thought that the only place that
> made sense to put Squid, where it could catch all the traffic, would
> be between the Cable Modem and the Router. Would this work?

It would work, but you could run squid anywhere, you just need to
redirect the traffic accordingly.

> I've tried setting it up for the last two days, but I've had no luck.
> I can make a bridge on the Squid box so that everyone can still access
> the internet, but every time I use iptables to redirect traffic to
> Squid, web pages stop working.

Please post your iptables setup (the relevant parts). Also, which
kernel/distro are you running? - there was an issue with icmp redirects
a while ago.

> I've tried several different Squid configurations. Frankly, the shear
> number of options is overwhelming. I tried to follow

This is most probably not a squid issue, postpone fiddling with squid
until you've got the basic setup working.

Here's what I do:

on my router/firewall:
iptables -A PREROUTING -t mangle -i eth0 -p tcp --dport http -j
MARK --set-mark 3

ip route add default via <squidbox> dev eth0 table transproxy
ip rule add fwmark 3 table transproxy

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (8.8°C)