Re: [squid-users] Newbie Help - Is this Possible?

From: Aaron Wright <wright_left_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 10:59:40 -0700 (PDT)

> It would work, but you could run squid anywhere, you just need to redirect the traffic accordingly.

This is true, but I was hoping to insert squid transparently so that all computers and wireless devices, such as tablets and phones, would be forced to use it. In the future this is going to be for filtering and monitoring. I wanted something that couldn't be avoided easily; such as adjusting your proxy settings. I was just trying to get the simple case to work first.

> Also, which kernel/distro are you running?

I'm trying to use Debian 6 right now. I'll probably upgrade to Debian 7 at some point.

Could I hang squid off the LAN side of the router like all the other devices, and have the router some how enforce the proxy? My router is running DD-WRT. Maybe that would be a better approach. Then the squid box could get the DNS and gateway information from DHCP like everyone else.