Re: [squid-users] Basic config file

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2013 04:43:33 +1300

On 15/11/2013 10:32 p.m., alamb200 wrote:
> Hi,
> I am looking at Squid as a proxy server on our network to try and have some
> degree of control over internet access and eventually to tag other software
> such as Internet Access Monitor for Squid.
> I am running Squid on a Windows 2008 Server so I am using version 2.7 of
> Squid.
> For a start though I just want to set it up and point a couple of PC's at it
> to make sure it does what I need, we only have 30 users so I am not worried
> about who gets access to the internet so I imagine I don't need a lot of the
> acl bits.
> I have looked through various users guides ,and there are lots, and I am now
> confused about what I actually need to set up.
> Can anyone help me with the initial set up of the config file so I can
> progress this?

Start with the squid.conf that came with your 2.7 version. In general
the squid.conf basics are the same for all versions, BUT the older ones
liek 2.7 provided nothing in the way of "built-in defaults" so they
needed long lists of settings in the conf.

Acme have a how-to page for installation and initial setup on Windows.

There should have been a QUICKSTART document also bundled which gives
you the short list of directives to look for and update to get a very
basic service people can use. IIRC they are:
  http_port, acl our_networks src, http_access, access_log.

Once you have the our_networks ACL defined to cover the expected client
IP ranges and resstarted the proxy you should be able to use it for traffic.
 After that it gets very specific in regards to what you want in the way
of local network policies and integration with your network environment.

Amos