Re: [squid-users] Re: Cannot get basic_ldap_auth to work with AD

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 22:45:59 +1300

On 22/11/2013 12:08 p.m., Brig wrote:

> Sounds like good advice!
>
> 'squidauth' was just an example I was using for this forum. We have two AD
> accounts that we have created for these kinds of authentications so I cannot
> just easily go change the passwords yet I can request a new account.
>
> Both of those accounts though have long complex passwords with non
> alpha-numeric characters! I have always enclosed the passwords with single
> quotes to be safe yet that appears to have not helped and neither of these
> accounts/passwords have worked with the Squid basic_ldap_auth helper
> program.

Single quotes have no meaning to squid-3.3. They will be passed as-is
through to the shell arguments for the helper program.
 -> that might your problem.

Double quotes are also passed through as well, BUT that is shell quoting
syntax. So in places where shell is used to run the helper they can
cause tricky parameters to be handled right.

NP: in all cases the space-delimited way Squid handles the lines breaks
things for complex strings of any kind involving whitespace characters.
 -> this might also be your problem.

HTH