Re: [squid-users] Squid breaking two sites, CBC.ca videos & interface.com US products

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2014 18:18:00 +1300

On 6/02/2014 6:08 a.m., niagarasys wrote:
> For at least a year and through multiple Squid updates, I've never been able
> to resolve an issue experienced with two sites even after using
> /always_direct/ and /cache deny/ directives.
>
> http://www.cbc.ca/player/Shows/
> - most videos won't play, you'll get the player but not the videos
> - randomly a rare video will play now, but it won't play later... or vice
> versa
>
> http://www.interface.com/US/en-US/homepage
> http://www.interface.com/CA/en-CA/homepage
> - click Products on the top left and you can't evaluate their products
> - looks like it's an Adobe Scene7 site with images hosted on Akamai
> - other Adobe Scene7 sites are properly accessible

Redbot says that site and the domains it embeds all have quite a number
of very nasty broken HTTP headers.
::
    The Expires header's value isn't a valid date.
    Pragma: no-cache is a request directive, not a response directive.
    The ETag doesn't change between negotiated representations.
    An If-None-Match conditional request returned the full content
unchanged.
    An If-Modified-Since conditional request returned the full content
unchanged.
    The If-Modified-Since response is missing required headers.
    The Range response is missing required headers.
    A ranged request returned partial content, but it was incorrect.
    Cache-Control: public is rarely necessary.
    This response allows a cache to assign its own freshness lifetime.
::

Most of these errors occur in the script URLs that run the dynamic parts
of the pages and the videos.

It is a mess. Software attempting to use any of the _common_ HTTP/1.1
features (Range requests, If-modified requests, ETag unique content
identifiers) is screwed.

> Of the two Squid boxes I have at two different locations that experience
> this issue, the versions are:
> Squid Cache: Version 3.2.9
> Squid Cache: Version 3.2.11
>
> I've pruned both the squid.conf to very basic configurations at both
> locations and I can't get these sites to work.
>
> Can anyone confirm they have the issue or don't have the issue or perhaps
> provide insight? Thanks in advance!

Confirmed *without* using Squid. I get the same errors on those pages in
my browser without a proxy at all.

I also get errors where it tells me I need to install flash player,
which is already installed and on previous request for the same *exact*
videos just worked perfectly.

I am not very hopeful about anything short of the authors fixing their
web server will fix this.

Amos