Re: [squid-users] Is it possible to mark tcp_outgoing_mark (server side) with SAME MARK as incoming packet (client side)?

From: Ed W <lists_at_wildgooses.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 10:26:40 +0000

Hi

> So documentation is right but placement of the statement is possibly
> wrong. Its not highlighted right infront. i.e qos_flows applies only
> for packets from server to client(squid) NOT from client to server.
>
> Is it possible to do reverse too? Or atleast have an acl where I can
> check incoming MARK on packet? So then I can make use of
> tcp_outgoing_mark.
>
> I just noticed that there was same discussion done in list previously
> as well (in 2013), here is the link:
>
> http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/201303/0421.html

Yes, I'm still really interested to implement this. I got as far as
doing some investigation a few weeks back. It seems *most* of the
groundwork is there. I think there is space to store the incoming client
connection mark, there are facilities to set the outgoing upstream mark
(to an acl value). What is needed is:
- code to connect the two, ie set a default outgoing mark
- some thought on handling connection pipelining and re-use. At present
squid maintains a pool of connections say to an upstream proxy, these
now need to be selected not just because they are idle, but also because
they have the correct connection mark set. This looks do-able, but
slightly more tricky

Ed W