Re: [squid-users] SNMP cacheClients

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 18:31:07 -0600

On 06/27/2014 02:11 PM, Matthew Ceroni wrote:

> I am monitoring my squid server via SNMP and graphing in Cacti. Of
> particular importance to me is the number of clients which is a graph
> of the cacheClients statistic (1.3.2.1.15.0). The graph shows we reach
> a maximum of 1300 clients.

> This seems a bit odd to me as we only have around 200 users. Even if
> you double that (each user has their desktop and wireless device) you
> don't get anywhere close to 1300. Therefore what is this SNMP value
> truly reporting? What constitutes a client? Is it per IP?

I am not an SNMP expert, but I believe SNMP cacheClients is "Number of
clients accessing cache" on the Cache Manager mgr:info page (you can
check by correlating SNMP and mgr:info output).

If you are using SMP Squid (e.g., multiple Squid workers), please see
the "Number of clients accessing cache" table row at

  http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/CacheManager#SMP_considerations

HTH,

Alex.