Re: Squid port to Windows NT

From: Jean-Francois Micouleau <Jean-Francois.Micouleau@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 1998 23:23:46 +0100 (MET)

--MimeMultipartBoundary

On Sun, 1 Mar 1998, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> Gerhard Wiesinger wrote:
>
> Yes, I know of cygwin32. At the time when the NT port was attemted it
> failed to support Squid. I have no idea if this has improved in later
> cygwin32 releases. You are welcome to try porting Squid if you like. I
> know nothing about win32 programming, nor have the time needed to port
> Squid to NT.

Two years ago I looked at porting Squid to NT using the cygwin dll. At
that time it wasn't an easy job because cygwin32 was missing some parts of
unix functions, but now it should be easier.

Even if someone succed, it won't be a major win for squid for mainly 2
reasons:

1) The system call's latency will be far more superior than under many
kind of Unix (between 3 and 5 times slower).

2) Squid memory management under NT will probably be fun.

I reclaim a mail from some working for Network Applicance saying it took
them 6 months to port Harvest to NT. So does anybody volonter to devote as
much time to port squid to NT ?

: Jean Francois Micouleau : Email: jfm@utc.fr :
: Universite de : Tel : 03 44 23 47 78 :
: Technologie de : Service Informatique :
: Compiegne France : Division IRNM :

--MimeMultipartBoundary--