Re: Squid port to Windows NT

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 1998 18:00:22 +0100

--MimeMultipartBoundary

Gerhard Wiesinger wrote:

> For asynchronous read operations, hFile can be any handle opened with t=
he
> FILE_FLAG_OVERLAPPED flag by the CreateFile function, or a socket handl=
> returned by the socket or accept functions.
>=20
> The lpOverlapped structure must be used for async. I/O.

How does one know when a read/write operation is completed?

I think 1.2 should be much easier to port to NT than 1.1.X is, now when
select() driven file I/O is being replaced by threading.

The win32 non-blocking socket I/O is apparently quite close to UNIX
behaviour.

> Windows NT isn't as bad as many would like to seem so.

NT is not bad.., it is not UNIX. Squid depends heavily on some UNIX
semantics which are different on NT.. Squid is very far from a POSIX
compliant application.

> So it should be possible to port. There is also a gnu library
> to port unix apps to NT available. (http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win3=
2/)

Yes, I know of cygwin32. At the time when the NT port was attemted it
failed to support Squid. I have no idea if this has improved in later
cygwin32 releases. You are welcome to try porting Squid if you like. I
know nothing about win32 programming, nor have the time needed to port
Squid to NT.

---
Henrik Nordstr=F6m
Sparetime Squid Hacker