Re: client_side and comm_close

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 08:15:24 -0600

On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 18:34 +1200, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> Alex Rousskov wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 15:40 +1200, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> >
> >> IMO, This should be queued as part of the 3.1 cleanups, but not as
> >> urgently as some other issues.
> >>
> >> The priorities as I see them now are:
> >> - immediately fixable and urgent bugs.
> >> - completing the dedicated 3.1 feature list (DEVEL is overdue).
> >> - cleanups for fixing more intrusive or design bugs (such as this, and
> >> the 407 one).
> >> - shakedown for release cycle.
> >>
> >> We have a few months of shakedown before anything like a good stable.
> >> Plenty of time for cleanup not blocking new features.
> >
> > I estimate that properly cleaning up the client side would delay v3.1
> > stable release by 2-3 months unless we suddenly get more experts
> > involved. Is that delay acceptable to you? Others?
>
> If we were in a position to start it now, maybe. But we are not I think.

You are probably right. FWIW, I will not be able to work on that until
eCAP is done.

> I'm vote is for the timeline above, leaving step-3 as optional, the
> descision whether to even start it until step 2 is fully completed.

> We may later decide that it is worthwhile or vital, but I don't think
> anyone should start in on more major sweeping until we know what all the
> fallout from the currently underway set is going to be.

In the unlikely event somebody with enough client-side knowledge can
start on this now, I would probably support it (and help with the
design). Otherwise, I agree that your plan is the best option available.

Thank you,

Alex.