Re: [RFC] 3.1 branching

From: Tsantilas Christos <chtsanti_at_users.sourceforge.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 09:21:31 -0400 (EDT)

> On sön, 2008-09-14 at 16:32 -0600, Alex Rousskov wrote:
>
>> This is probably too vague of a statement/problem to argue about. I find
>> the current code easier to debug, especially when new style of callbacks
>> is used, because cache.log contains more structured information.
>>
>> I also need to polish and publish scripts that track/isolate a given
>> transaction based on logged async calls.
>
> Yes, the AsyncCall logging is indeed easier to debug, but it's harder to
> analyze a post-mortem crash from a core dump where you can not easily
> reproduce the problem.
>
> What's primarily needed to remove this concern is to somehow dump the
> origin where the current live call was scheduled, to be included in the
> cache.log crash messages.

Is it enough to just print the file and line where the current AsyncCall
scheduled?
I think, it can be stored in the AsyncCall object using the
ScheduleCall.function.

Also there is some code in async-call branch in sourceforge which modify
assert function to allow squid to survive from an assertion throwing an
exception. This code was not merged (not accepted) in squid3-trunk.
With some modications can be used to dump some debugging info about
current AsyncCall: Instead of throw an exception just do a debugs and
then abort.

Regards,
   Christos