Running 2 Squid Caches

From: Alex Sharaz <A.Sharaz@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 11:37:55 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

Having just upgraded to Squid 1.0.10, I'd now like to try running 2 squid
caches on site. Am I naive in assuming that all I've got to do is:-
1). Set up our DNS so that

a). wwcache.hull.ac.uk has two "A" entries pointing to the 2 caches. Assuming
that the DNS works correctly, a query on wwwcache.hull.ac.uk should return
alternate IP addresses (?)

b). Set up entries for the 2 caches ( wwwcache1.hull.ac.uk and
wwwcache2.hull.ac.uk)

2). Configure our 2 squid.conf files to know about each other

On cache 1 set up cache_host wwwcache2.hull.ac.uk neighbor 3128 3130 proxy-only
On cache 2 set up cache_host wwwcache1.hull.ac.uk neoghbor 3128 3130 proxy-only

{ Possibly use the weight=n option to get each cache to check the other one
first before tryong other cache_host entries?)

Set up appropriate visible_hostname entries for each cache
(wwwcache1.hull.ac.uk and wwwcache2.hull.ac.uk)

3). Inform the managers of my parent and neighbour caches of the new machine IP
address and the name changes for both machines

As all of the computer centre Web browsers are configured either to use an
automatic proxy config file or query wwwcache.hull.ac.uk whichever cache they
query first should check with the other one before trying outside hull..... and
if that fails they should access the remote host directly.

W.R.T.a remote site config, would they just keep
wwwcache.hull.ac.uk ..... and rely on our caches checking with each other or
would they have to put both wwwcache1 and wwwcache2 in their config file?

Does the above sound correct? Have I missed something out? any thoughts /
comment would be appreciated.

alex

Rfc822:A.Sharaz@ucc.hull.ac.uk
X.400:I=A;S=Sharaz:ou=Computer Centre;O=Hull;Prmd=UK.AC;C=GB
X.500:cn=Alexander Sharaz@ou=Computer Centre@o=University of Hull@c=GB
Sent using Simeon 4.0.9 over Win-OS2