Re: Squid gets too much memory!!

From: Gudmundur Ragnar <squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 02:15:22 +0000 (GMT)

Hello,

Here is something that should go into the FAQ,
Should I use Squid?
If you have lots of users go for Squid. On small systems
and not a lot of users you could use your current web
server as a procy-cache (Cern/Apache ?orthers)

> I'm using Squid 1.0.5 under a patched linux 1.2.13 (a.out, debian)
> and have configured it with:

I also use debian and have set up proxy-cache on some systems.

For what you are doing I think you should not use Squid.

> cache_mem 1
> cache_swap 100
>
> Hey, this is a small site :-) (I'm a start-up ISP in Brazil, and
> currently have some 30 clients).

From my experience CERN works ok for a system like this.

> there a way of reducing memory usage (I'm a little bit too much swapped
> out for my taste).

Squid actualy uses the memory to deliver it's performance, if the system
is swaping add more memory.

What is the minimum system to make Squid better than e.g. Cern?

Best regards
ragnar@this.is