Re: Squid Accelerator and virtual domains

From: Miguel A.L. Paraz <map@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 16:50:37 +0000 ()

Hi,

Nelson Posse Lago wrote:

> I'd like to know if it's possible to use squid in http-accelerator
> mode to serve virtual domains. The reason for this is that I intend to put
> my web server behind a firewall, accessable through squid, but I will have
> some virtuals. If so, a simple pointer to the mechanics of it would make
> my day :-).

If you have multiple IP addresses on the Squid server, you can make Squid
bind to specific IP addresses, with bind_address on older versions,
or tcp_incoming_address on newer ones. However, this requires that
you have one Squid process per server.

What I'm looking forward is to having a single Squid process listen to
all the addresses, the way Apache does, or support the draft HTTP/1.1
spec, where it can differentiate between the various virtual hosts
through the HTTP Host: header. Squid developers, is this trivial, or
does it require major code changes?

--
miguel a.l. paraz   <map@iphil.net>       iphil communications, makati city, ph
PGP ID: 0x43F0D011  http://www.iphil.net  isp/intranet design & implementation