Re: Proxy of large files

From: James R Grinter <jrg@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 11:01:54 +0000

On Mon 20 Jan, 1997, Richard Roderick <richard@proaxis.com> wrote:
>Setting maximum_object_size to X will prevent squid from keeping a copy of
>files larger than X. Many of us set X to a smaller number because squid
>keeps a copy of it in memory while it downloads and tends to lead to out of
>memory problems.

max object size is supposed to limit the use of an object's memory
and then go into 'delete behind' marking the object private.

As an aside comment, I'm not sure this always works, as I noticed
yesterday on our production 1.0.20 based cache that there was a
large amount of memory in use (400MB) and what appeared to be 180MB
tied up in one object (from looking at VM Objects): a broken server
push script, I think.

At the point where the object goes into delete behind, there was a
secondary problem of multiple readers being able to stall a fetch;
but I'm not sure if that problem still exists in 1.1?

-- jrg.