Re: Ethernet Cards for Linux.

From: David Luyer <luyer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 10:43:24 +0800 (WST)

On Mon, 29 Jan 1996, Eugene Geldenhuys wrote:
>We've had a lot of success with the 3Com PCI cards (3C59X) running
>Slackware 2.1.

I find Debian a lot more secure and stable than Slackware. But, agreed,
the 3c59x is quite a nice ethercard.

>A good fast configuration is ASUSTEK pentium system board with Cyrix 686
>133, Adaptec 2940UW, 3Com3C590, Stallion PCI easyio, Micropolis 4Gb
>wide SCSI drive.

Well that all looks nice, except the 2940UW. Personally I'd say a
BusLogic 958c is a much nicer card (also happens to be the card
recommended by Linus on linux-kernel, and which was recommended to me by
people like M O'Reilly whose done a lot of testing on kernel performance).

David.