Re: Socks and lsocks question

From: Anthony DeBoer <adb@dont-contact.us>
Date: 15 Feb 1997 20:42:54 -0000

Alberto de Poo Bas <adepoo@tamnet.com.mx> writes:

> I see that Squid can compile with a socks library. Can this help in my
> situation?
>
> I have a Windows proxy with http proxy port at 3128 and socks port 1080,
> but no have access for the ftp proxy port the same as http port, and it
> works in diferent way, so I can't put http proxy 3128 and ask for ftp
> objects. With this library can I put this parent cache as port 1080 and
> then all objects will get by the socks port?
>
> Maybe this is not clear, sorry for my english.

Pardon me if I don't fully understand your question, but if I understand
it correctly here's the answer:

The socks protocol is a different way of asking for a connection to get an
object, so having things that are looking for a socks proxy connect to an
HTTP proxy instead, or vice-versa, will not work.

(longer explanations follow)

Compiling Squid with the socks library would allow it to use a socks proxy
to get out to the Internet itself (eg. you could run it on a machine on
your internal network, and run only a socks proxy on the firewall).

Socks is a simple proxy that allows you to connect to any type of TCP/IP
service out on the Internet (HTTP, Telnet, NNTP, etc, etc, etc). Here's
a simplified example of what happens when you grab http://www.geac.com/
via each service:

With socks:

   You: [please connect me to 208.144.226.203 port 80]
   socks server: [OKAY]
   You: GET / HTTP/1.0 etc...

(note that your client needed to do the DNS lookup itself, at least in
socks 4, and is now talking to the actual www.geac.com server.)

With an HTTP proxy:
   You: GET http://www.geac.com/ HTTP/1.0 etc...

--