Re: Socks and lsocks question

From: Alberto de Poo Bas <adepoo@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 00:39:48 -0600 (CST)

On 15 Feb 1997, Anthony DeBoer wrote:

> Alberto de Poo Bas <adepoo@tamnet.com.mx> writes:
> >
> > I see that Squid can compile with a socks library. Can this help in my
> > situation?
> >

> Pardon me if I don't fully understand your question, but if I understand
> it correctly here's the answer:
>
> The socks protocol is a different way of asking for a connection to get an
> object, so having things that are looking for a socks proxy connect to an
> HTTP proxy instead, or vice-versa, will not work.
>
> (longer explanations follow)
>
> --
> Anthony DeBoer <adb@geac.com> #include <std.disclaimer>

Maybe you answer but I don't understand very well, so here is my
information again:

I have configured my browser to http and ftp proxy the squid.machine.mx
port 3128 (no socks)

I configure squid machine to check for .EXE and .ZIP files in a parent
proxy wingate.machine.mx, and here is the problem, I can't put http and
ftp proxy in the same port, because wingate use different protocol for
this two types of connection, so only http objects can be called in
wingate, if I want ftp objects from Wingate, I have to use socks.

So, if I compile squid with socks, then squid can talk with wingate with
socks and get ftp files from wingate, right?. But here goes my question
again, do I have to put in my browser to use socks for connecting to
squid, or no?

BTW I can't configure my browser for direct connection with wingate.

Thanks.

Alberto de Poo
adepoo@tamnet.com.mx