squid + ftp = degraded performance?

From: Ian Cooper <ihc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 09:57:18 +0000

Hi folks,

I'm currently trying out squid on one of the HENSA national cache
machines. Unfortunately I'm having a few problems.

Normal response time through a monitoring script we have is around 0.2
seconds. However, it appears that the whole service slows down
(response times typically >50 seconds) when there are ftp requests
being made.

Has anyone else seen this? (And if so, do you have a fix?)

Machine setup:

squid-1.1.6
SGI Challenge S, IRIX 5.3, IP22 128MB RAM
cache_mem 35
cache_swap 16000
ftpget_options -n 60 -W -t 300
dns_children 12

(1.NOVM.6 doesn't appear to be any better... in fact, it looked like
it crashed about once an hour!)

Ian