Re: Hot Mail

From: Andrew Foster <adflists@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 08:24:22 +1000

>The Problem is, that Hotmail uses for 'security' reasons the IP address.
>If auser logs in, the get IP address, and then, while this session, it
>must be the
>same address. The problem occours also when you use siblings and
>more then one parent and your proxys cant fetch direct..
>
>As far as I know, Hotmail is not interested in change their system,
>maybe
>with www.usa.net this problem occurs also.
>Someone sayed to me that www.pobox.com works (I havent tried it yet).
>If it works, your users can change and use this service.

Try :

local_domain hotmail.com

We have multiple parents and the problem seems to happen when the requests
come from multiple IPs (ie different parents handle the request). This can
also happen if you have multiple local squid servers on round robin DNS. We
tell our users (who use hotmail) to just put in the real hostname of a
single proxy (not the round robin one) and the problem seems to be fixed.

(Maybe this should go in a FAQ since I've seen it mentioned a few times now
on various lists)

Regards,
Andrew Foster
First Link Internet Services