Re: two squid's, two net connections.

From: James McOrmond <jam@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 10:57:36 -0500 (EST)

> If the parent dies/is-unreachable/goes-up-in-flames/is-flung-out-past-the-orbit-of-mars (by some
> bizarre gravitic anomaly) we want to go direct _until_ it comes back up.

sound about right.

> The best solution I could come up with was a periodic test. I test to see if we can talk to them
> (every five minutes).

ugh. I was hoping for something a little more internal that that.

> I'd love a nicer solution to this..here's a daft idea:
>
> cache_host none direct 0 0 default no-query ignore-firewall

interesting thought.

maybe there will be some support for something like this in the next version. I've tried
all the cache-host option tags I can find but no luck.

I even tried setting up the firewall settings, with the faster squid being a much higher
priority than an external cache, thinking it would get all the requests if it was up, and
the system just didn't move down to the lower priority one.

--
James A. McOrmond - AmigaOS and Linux Admin.
Jammys.Net Systems - Fidonet Gateway & UUCP feed provider, Ottawa, ON