Re: Squid 1.2 & Error Messages

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 19:47:20 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, Dancer wrote:

> Well.....it's not exactly a bug, is it? The error message occurred in another
> program. Only it knows what happened. It produces an HTML page describing the
> error.

I agree 50%. Caching proxies are _proxies_. That is, their behavior must be
transparent to the end user. Custom error messages (including, but not
limited to!, language translations) are there to achieve this transparency.

Ideally, Squid could recognize error messages from other Squid proxies and
interpret them _iff_ cache admin enables such a behavior.

> It would be counterproductive, time-consuming, and just plain _wrong_ to try to
> substitute that error message with one from a local server. After all, the error
> didn't happen locally. It happened somewhere else. Change the message, and you'd
> never know where the problem occurred for one.

One can always append the original message as <font size=-2>"additional
info"</font> or something like that..

Alex.

P.S. I doubt this will be implemented in Squid 1.2 unless somebody who needs
the feature volunteers to implement it.