Squid vs. Netscape Proxy

From: Michael Ferioli <ferioli@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 10:31:37 +0300

I have just completed Squid and it's VERY nice. We will be
uninstalling Netscape Proxy Server tomorrow. :-)

I am currently bidding on a HUGE project here in Turkey.
Our part of the bid is "applications", of which 3 proxy
servers are part. The bid itself would appear to be
asking for Netscape Proxy in not so many words. But I
don't like their pricing policy.

First of all, the 3 servers will be distributed over
3 cities linked with OC3 ATM connections. The RFP
has the following stipulations:

OK - Supports HTTP, FTP, and Gopher
OK - Web based management
OK - SNMP manageable
?? - Integrated virus scanner
?? - Provides extensive content filtering capabilities
?? - CARP makes all three servers appear as a single server
OK - ICP distributes load automatically among servers
OK - Log Analysis capability

Sounds like Netscape, eh?

How can I get around the 3 items with the question marks above?

I believe we can sort of simulate CARP using Javascript and
autoconfiguration PAC files, but it's not so clean.

Also, can Webtrends understand Squid access logs if they are
first converted to some other form?

Also, I need collateral in the form of references. I would love
to be able to say "UUnet, Netcom, and BBN Planet all use
Squid for proxy servers." The customer (Turkish Telekom) will
respond well to that.

Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Michael Ferioli

Michael Ferioli ferioli@comnet.net.tr
Comnet A.S. http://www.comnet.net.tr