Re: your mail

From: Bertold Kolics <bertold@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 17:10:30 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 6 May 1998, Alejandro Navarro wrote:

> I would like to know, how works the algorithm that Squid uses to decide
> when the parent is going to establish the tcp connection or when is
> going to do it by itself. I mean, it's a matter of time out? or what?

Yes, it is. (Look at the neighbor_timeout option in the squid.conf file).
Squid can detect furthermore if its neighbors are alive.

> Because I have noticed that most of the request are done by the parent (like
> the theory says) but there are some request that squid makes by itselfs.

Some requests should not go through your parent. E.g. HTTP POST requests.
(If you are not behind a firewall then these requests are directed to the
source server ignoring your parent).

Yours,
Bertold