Re: PRE releases

From: Jonathan Larmour <jlarmour@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 16:02:02 +0000

Matija Grabnar wrote:

> > I've noticed quite a few people reporting problems with 2.2 PREn releases,
> > and I strongly suspect a lot of them don't know that the PRE means that it
> > may not be reliable.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> I think a lot of people are used to reporting bugs in PRE releases in the
> hope they will be fixed in time for the stable release. The usual intention
> of making PRE releases is "testing by a wider community". Such tests must
> include reports of troubles - if there were no problems, the release would
> be called stable.
>
> Perhaps you feel squid-users is not the right forum for reporting such
> problems. Possibly because it might give the newcomers a bad impression?

Nope, that's not the reason for my concern - I agree PRE releases should get
tested widely. But from some of the questions on squid-users it appears that
_beginners_ are trying to use these releases. People who evidently have not
used squid much or at all before and don't know how to analyze the problems
they are seeing. I don't believe they intended to use something that isn't
necessarily ready.

From looking at the web pages, I think many people would just jump at the
"latest" version since the only disclaimer there is is subdued and only
implicit.

Jifl

--
Cygnus Solutions, 35 Cambridge Place, Cambridge, UK.  Tel: +44 (1223) 728762
"Women marry hoping their husbands will change, men||Home e-mail: jifl @