Re: Can I set up Squid to use automatic proxying?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 01:07:20 +0100

Stan Brown wrote:

> I ksut want the clinets to call the squid machine for every request,
> then have suid figure out if it can go direct, or if i must call the
> SOCKS host.

Unfortunately squid knows nothing about SOCKS.

If you must use SOCKS (rather than HTTP proxying) to reach the Internet
then you most SOCKSify Squid. This can for example be done via the
runsocks wrapper from the NEC socks5 distribution or by rebilding Squid
according to the SOCKS documentation on how to SOCKSify a non-SOCKS
aware application.

For a socksified Squid the configuration on wether to go direct or use
SOCKS is done inside the SOCKS client configuration, not Squid.

Running SQUID under SOCKS isn't entirely supported. I cannot guarantee
that everything works the way it is intended. It should as long as you
don't need to use ICP, but an multiplexing application like Squid
stresses the SOCKS library quite hard.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker