max-age and running out of filedescriptors

From: Zhang, Jenny (jennyz) <jennyz@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 12:02:33 -0800

Hi,

I am using Squid v2.2STABLE4 on RedHead Linux. I have two questions:

1. In my web server reply, I have HTTP header 'Cache-Control: max-age=30'.
None of the objects is cached as long as the max-age<= 60 seconds. If
I increase max-age to 61, it worked fine. The system time is in sync. Does
this mean Squid can not cache object for less than 1 minute? Or I need
to try other cache control header?

2. I have 500 users sending request to Squid. After 10 minutes running,
I got the message 'WARNING! Your cache is running out of filedescriptors'
and 'sslReadClient: FD 686: read failure: (104) Connection reset by peer'.
And user got 'can not connect to server' error. What are the possible reasons
for that?

Thanks in advance.

Jenny Zhang