RE: Telstra says "(squid infrastructure) not Y2K ready"

From: Karl Ferguson <karl@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 10:24:43 +0800

> They have replaced the Squid infrastructure with a new proxy
> system. I dont know what it is.
> I have a nasty suspiscion they were trying to move people onto
> this system.
>
> I mean it's old news now, but it is still publically visible.
> Maybe they mean the OS wasnt y2k ok, but i dont know of any
> unixes that had trouble. Can you even get Squid for NT? (which is
> supposed to be y2k ok anyway)

They've moved over to the NetApp caching system and deployed them across
Australia. Aparantly they used squid 1.1.21 on their old proxies... I sent
them complaints about it previously and how they should upgrade, but to no
avail. Then, they asked me if I could point our proxy to a new cache called
NetApp - I did, it was faster. But the only reason (obviously) is because
it wasn't under load and they didn't upgrade their Sun servers and squid
enough.

Anyway, I guess they like the NetApp caching system *shrug*. It seems
they've been marketed a better product somehow.

Karl Ferguson
Network Engineer					Tel: +61 8 9481 4010
Corporate Computer Consultants Pty Ltd	Fax: +61 8 9481 4767
Level 1/220 St Georges Tce, Perth WA	Hlp: +61 8 9481 4055