Re: Hacking Access log code

From: Jens-S. Voeckler <voeckler@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 10:34:18 +0100 ((MEZ) Mitteleuropäische Zeit)

On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, Denis J. O'Toole wrote:

> log the IP address in the URL string of the Access log rather than the

Tell me, if I am wrong, but the thread so far seems to talk about three
different things:

1) The user needs? a patch which replaces the hostname with its numerical
counterpart in the URL string (column 7 in access.log).

2) One helpful person replied suggesting the (not really commendable)
log_fqdn option, which replaces all client addresses with their symbolic
counterpart (column 3 in access.log).

3) Henrik has a great patch which replaces the hierarchy host with its
numeric counterpart on DIRECT destinations - makes log file processing
much easier (column 9 in access.log).

The originator of the thread might want to look himself into the
src/access_log.c code. A quick hack to achieve his aims should not be too
difficult. Still, the additional hostname lookups might have a similar
performance impact on his squid as the log_fqdn option, and I would
suggest post-processing the access.log away from the cache host.

In the hope of being helpful,
Dipl.-Ing. Jens-S. Vöckler (voeckler@rvs.uni-hannover.de)
Institute for Computer Networks and Distributed Systems
University of Hanover, Germany; +49 511 762 4726